Re: PLEASE: standard package README file/orientation

From: Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 07:17:32PM -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> Then why don't more package implement that policy?

Please give some examples of packages which do not?

> > > Debian packages don't provide that orientation reliably at all.
> >
> > ls -l /usr/doc/foo
> > dpkg -L foo |grep bin
> > dpkg -L foo |grep man
> > dpkg -L foo |grep info
> >
> > works for *every* package.  (Yes, I know it would be more efficient
> > to combine into one dpkg -L command, I left it as an exercise for the
> > reader.)
>
> If Debian really thinks that is sufficient, then this is hopeless.

Actually, I'd say that grep bin/ would be better than grep bin (without
the slash).  Similarly, for documentation, you might want to use something
like egrep 'man/|info/|doc/'.

Or, failing that, do a web search on the topic you're interested in.

I agree that we could do better about indexing or cross indexing our
documentation.  But anything better than grepping the list of files
provided by the package really has to be done on a case-by-case basis.

[Do you understand why?  It's because further improvements must be in
the form of better content.]

--
Raul