Re: PLEASE: standard package README file/orientation

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 07:17:32PM -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:

> So?  I didn't say it was.  I didn't say that Debian maintainers
> should clean up upstream documentation.
>
> I just argued that in doc directory, which typically contains
> a mess of upstream files, there should be a file that is
> easily recognizable (having a standard name) as the Debian
> README file.

README.Debian exists in the package(s) which have made substainial changes
to how the package operates. If it exists it contains important information
that the maintainer wanted you to read.

> > > Debian packages don't provide that orientation reliably at all.
> >
> > ls -l /usr/doc/foo
> > dpkg -L foo |grep bin
> > dpkg -L foo |grep man
> > dpkg -L foo |grep info
> >
> > works for *every* package.  (Yes, I know it would be more efficient
> > to combine into one dpkg -L command, I left it as an exercise for the
> > reader.)
>
> If Debian really thinks that is sufficient, then this is hopeless.

What makes it insufficient? It give you all the information you were
orginially asking for (starting points to explore further).

Anand