Re: DSL and Debian questions

David Bellows wrote:

> 1.  The service comes with an external DSL modem.  I was under the
> impression that DSL hooked up through one's ethernet card.  Since I
> appear to be wrong, what does the DSL modem do and is it likely to be
> GNU/Linux compatible?

depends on the modem, there are some USB modems(some are supported some
are not)
but ethernet based modems(like my Cisco 675 DSL modem, external) DO just
plug right into your ethernet card. I set up a VPN accross a pacific
bell DSL connection about a year ago, forget the modem brand but it was
external and plugge dinto the ethernet jack as well.

> 2.  I installed the default kernel in my system and didn't set up any
> networking stuff (currently using a dial up connection -- I'm presuming
> that DSL is a kind of networking thing).  Where do I find the
> information about these things and is there a Debian tool that will help
> me configure whatever needs configuring?

most every DSL connection ive ever seen has used standard TCPIP setup.
in the case of the external modems ive used, you assign an IP/netmask
etc to the NIC and the router transparently directs traffic (bridging)
from the isp through the modem to the PC(or hub/switch). in the case of
internal modems(the only one i can think of is the intel internal) it
just acts as a NIC as far as i know, but im not sure if it is supported
under linux.

>> 3.  The webpage for Bellsouth DSL mentions three requirements (in
> addition to MS or Mac) a)  USB (probably not currently supported in
> Debian, eh?) OR b) ethernet card OR c) NIC.  My question: what is the
> difference between ethernet and NIC?  Which should I get?

bellsouth is confused, ethernet card and a NIC is the same thing. i
would go with option B though. ask what kind of external modems they
use, USWorst gave me a good deal on this Cisco 675 only $99 (but it took
3-4 months to get the service working)

> 4.  Another requirement was that I needed a dial up modem installed,
> which I do have, but why would I need that?

some early generation DSL setups can only download and need a modem to
upload, this may be the case with yours, i would doubt it tho.

> 5.  If the equipment they send doesn't work, I should be able to get my
> own stuff, correct?  And hardware advice here?

Depends...on the kind of service and their requirements, in many cases
you will be able to put any kind of DSL equipment to hook up to a line.
but there are limitations:

some ISPs require bridging(like mine - oz.net), im not sure if all dsl
devices support this, other ISPs may require Point-to-Point be supported
in the DSL device, again not sure if all dsl devices support this(Cisco
675 supports both), USWorst has an low end service that cuts out every 2
hours and forces you to re-logon, and it is ONLY compadible with the
intel internal modem(according to them), so if the ISP has special
software you will need the OS that supports that software and the
hardware too .. it can be a real biatch getting that kind of info out of
a company like bellsouth or usworst.

> 6.  Any other advice, pointers, etc.

shop around for a DSL isp if you can, i dont know about bellsouth but
usworst(oh, forgot they are now Quest), and GTE(now Verizon
Wireless(sp)) have listings on their homepages of approved ISPs.
approved isps means those isps have linkups to those phone comapnies,
you won't have an unlimited set of options like u do with dialup since
the physical setup is important. I got a reccomendation for oz.net from
a co-worker. I made sure they were multihomed, had a lot of bandwidth,
didn't mind me using all my available bandwidth, don't mind servers or
Unix(although they can't provide tech support for unix), and allowed
reverse DNS setups and additional static ips. Generally unless you want
the most basic service i've found the phone company is the absolute
worst ISP you can have for DSL.

Also unless you know the ISP "approves" of unix i wouldn't mention it in
talks with them, tell them you use Win 3.1. and need a system that can
work with it. then you can be sure you'll get a hardware based non plug
N pray solution that should work good with unix.

good luck ...!

nate
--
:::