Re: XFree86 3.3.6 configuration in potato (D2.2)

Yo.  Two straws worth grasping at:

1) It's not quite clear to me from your posts... you *do* have the
module loaded, right?  (lsmod should print 3dfx.o) Installing the deb
package (as you did) doesn't automatically do this, I believe.
(See http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0008/msg02620.html if the module
isn't in)

2) If you just want to play fullscreen quake and don't care about X, check
the permissions on /dev/3dfx. iirc, the way it was installed on my system
was like 'crwxrwx---', with owner root and group audio.  user needs rwx
permissions to use (access) the board.  A quick but insecure way to do
this is to just try to run quake as root.  A better longterm way is to
change the permissions, owner and group of /dev/3dfx to the above, if it's
not already that; then add whomever wants to run quake to the 'audio'
group.  If it still doesn't work you know that permissions are not your
problem.

Aaron