Re: old versions

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 04:52:14AM -0400, Gregg C wrote:
> Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
> reinstall it before attempting a removal.

About 7-8 months ago, I was getting similar problems doing some upgrades
with Potato.  I haven't seen the problem since.  My "solution" isn't for the
faint of heart but you may find it useful.

What I did was hand-edit the /var/lib/dpkg/status file (now everyone's going
to scream at me) to change the status of the package to 'purge ok
not-installed', then I hand-ran the prerm script (in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/<pkgname>.prerm) then deleted all the files that the
package installed: 'cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/<pkgname>.list|xargs rm -f', 'cat
/var/lib/dpkg/info/<pkgname>.list|xargs rmdir' and ran the postrm script
(I'm sure you can guess where to find it by now).

Then I installed the package again... no problems.

I never investigated _why_ I was getting these errors, but they have not
plagued me since.

I make no guarantees about the solution above except that I guarantee that
it's a bad solution that worked for me a few times.  It may not work for
you, and I'm not responsible if you accidentally delete your whole
filesystem with it.  (putting a -r in the rm statement will do just that).

Hope this helps, and hope you don't have to resort to this.
-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human