Re: Selt-built kernel - complaints about modules!

I've had this myself, when upgrading a kernel from a source .rpm under
Redhat.

> On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 04:11:24AM +0200, Sven Burgener wrote:
> > I have problems with my freshly baked kernel / modules: when booting,
> > just after the "Calculating module dependencies..." message I get errors
> > complaining about it not finding the modules smbfs, vfat, this, that and
> > some more...

You have a choice :

1) Use the modules, and compile those kernel sections with the m option.

when you do the make modules, and make modules-install those _and_ only
those modules,
are copied into the /lib tree.

2) Compile them into the kernel, and remove the dynamic module config stuff,
from the config files.

    I thought this was under /etc/modules.conf aka /etc/conf.modules.

If you use initrd on booting to say load SCSI drivers, then you need to
update those, after installing the modules and kernel, see  mkinitrd(8).

The messages come IIRC from moddep, but that's not really the point, getting
a consistent kernel config is.

Rob