Re: SOLVED: Re: VI and .html files?

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 10:21:13AM -0400, Adam Scriven wrote:
> At 09:01 2000/08/09 -0400, you wrote:
> >On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Adam Scriven wrote:
> > > I've been using VI for 8 years now, but this is the first time I've ever
> > > seen it have this little problem.  I try and VI a .html file, and I get
> > > what looks to be a lynx-style WYSIWYG editor.  It doesn't show me the
> > > source code, it actually shows me the HTML page formatted.
> >
> >         Interesting. What Vi clone are you using?
>
> Turns out I was using Elvis, which views .html files as a browser (Thanks
> Juan!).

elvis does a good job with the colors, and you can have it default to
showing source for html with a few commands in your ~/.exrc file.
(i use telnet over my local behind-the-firewall intranet.)

	:disp syntax
or
	:di sy
for short, toggles between HTML browsing and HTML source.

just try
	:disp
by itself to see all your options.

plus, elvis can munge the ':cc' feature for c syntax checking,
for use as a perl syntax checker!

	set ts=4 sw=4
	set ai
	if knownsyntax(filename) == "perl"
	then set ccprg="perl -c ($1?$1:$2) |& /usr/local/sbin/elvisperl"

now,
	:cc
checks your perl scripts and jumps to the problem line!

> I just switched to vim, but since I'm doing everything in a telnet window,
> with a cruddy telnet client, I don't get to see the colours.
>
> Oh well, at least I can see my source now!

elvis shows colors, just fine!