RE: LILO & Kernel Image too big --> make-kpkg

I've successfully accomplished what I needed, but I ended up doing
everything as root. I use xconfig, and that wouldn't work unless I logged
into X as root. So:

a) How "bad" is it doing everything as root?

b) How/where is this done that files can be created and xconfig run
without being root? I've used the source where it already is - /usr/src

John