Re: SOLVED: RE: LILO & Kernel Image too big --> Make error

Mike Werner <reznaeous@earthlink.net> writes:
MW> Andrew McRobert wrote:
 AM> thanks to Mike. I've installed the bin86 package, run 'make
 AM> bzImage' & lilo again and set the system up to boot. Is the bin86
 AM> package only needed for compressing the kernel image, or is it
 AM> needed to "make dep", "make modules" etc?
MW>
MW> For the most part, the bin86 package is needed to compile almost
MW> any package that comes as C source code.

Uh, no.  The bin86 package is needed to compile 16-bit 8086-compatible
source code.  This pretty much means that it's only needed to compile
the kernel boot loader itself (I wouldn't be surprised if the LILO
source needed it too, but people never recompile that).  In
particular, it's *not* needed to recompile kernel modules.

Since, surprisingly, nobody's pointed it out yet, you might want to
look into the Debian kernel-package package.  This builds Debian
packages out of kernels, making it easier to build, install, and
manage them.  If you want to build a kernel, cd to the top of the
kernel source tree, then

  make menuconfig
  fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=whatever buildpackage
  fakeroot make-kpkg modules
  cd ..
  dpkg -i *.deb

The first line runs the standard kernel configuration utility.  The
second actually builds packages of the kernel source, header files,
documentation, and the kernel to be installed.  The third builds
whatever module source trees you have installed to build extra Debian
packages out of external kernel modules.  The last goes off and
installs the packages (and needs to be done as root).

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell