Re: recompiling gcc & g++

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 07:59:31PM -0300, Jan Pfeifer wrote:

> gcc & g++ are the programs I use most, and often I'm waiting for them
> to compile a big project I'm currently working on.

> is it worth to recompile them using more "agressive" optimizations
> options (-O3, -funroll-loops, and -march=pentiumpro) ?

Probably not.  Much of the slowness has to do with the fact that
compilation is quite an expensive process and the algorithms used by GCC
aren't always the fastest (in particular, there's been a whole bunch of
improvements in C++ compilation since GCC 2.95 was released).

> anyway, I tried it, using apt-get to get the sources. Gcc, g++, gnu
> objective C and java compilers share the same source. I changed the
> compilation options in the "debian/rule" file (acutally "debian/rule2")
> and let it run. But during compilation it stopped while compiling

Check that that'll actually do what you think.  GCC recompiles itself
several times during building and you may find that you've only changed
the options for the first stage.

> objective c, complaining that some file was missing ("gc.h") ... Does
> anybody has any experience with this ? Should I write the mantainer of
> the package ?

Check that you have all the source dependancies.  Actually, I'd suggest
just installing from source rather than bothering with the .debs.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/