Re: non xfree-related question about installing xfree4

The easiest way would be waiting for debian packages of xfree 4.0.1 ;)
But if you don't want to wait, you could make something like this:

- backup your current x-stuff (copy /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6.3 and
/etc/X11 to /etc/X11.3)
- install xfree 4.0.1 to /usr/X11R6.4 and /etc/X11.4
- make symlinks /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/X11R6.4 and /etc/X11 -> /etc/X11.4
- run ldconfig
- config x

Now before every upgrade you do:

- remove the symlinks
- make symlinks /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/X11R6.3 and /etc/X11 -> /etc/X11.3
- run ldconfig

After the upgrade, you put the symlinks back to pointing to the xfree 4.0
dirs and run ldconfig.

Ron Rademaker