Re: Installing Debian on 486

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 03:12:13PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 12:52:27AM -0300, Rogerio Brito wrote:
> > On Aug 12 2000, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > > I rolled out my first Debian installation on a similar
> > > configuration, though I had about half the disk.  What are you
> > > planning on *doing* with the box -- it's pretty anaemic buy current
> > > standards.
> >
> > 	Wow, I use a computer not much better than that one. :-)

[snip]
> > 	installing the necessary packages (apt is great). :-) The
> > 	systems usually are 486s with 8MB of RAM and about 200MB of
> > 	disk. :-)
>
> Servers, workstations, or what?

[snip]
> or X terminal, based off of a 486, I'd have a really hard time seeing
> someone using this as a full locally-homed GUI workstation.

Agreed wrt the amount of RAM he has installed.  However, my AMD
486DX4-100 with SCSI and 96 Mb RAM and a four Mb Matrox is a very
snappy machine.  I get better performance on it than I did recently
with a Sun Ultra 1.

SCSI will leave you with more cpu cycles.  RAM tends to help more than
upgrading to a faster processor would.

--
keelingNO@SPAM.spots.ab.ca (Stephen) TopQuark Software & Serv. Enquire within.
    [sed 's/NO@SPAM./@/g']               Contract programmer, server bum.