Re: Failed reboot after upgrade

Hi
Thanks for the help.

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 12:37:05AM -0400, charles kaufman wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have just upgraded from 2.1 to frozen. I had some difficulty with
> > apt but the list helped me past it and all seemed well.
> >
> > So I tried to reboot but the reboot failed.

> More helpful would be 'dmesg' output.  Followup posting this to the
> list.

I tried to summarize it. Of course I could only run dmesg for the
version that did boot. Now I don't have that one either since
I got past the problem (go down three lines) so dmesg is routine.

> Have you run or re-run "lilo", with an appropirate /etc/lilo.conf file?

Yes, when the installation script offered.

I have discovered what I did wrong.

(I have already sent this explanation to the list. But I'm not
subscribed and I keep getting 404's when I try to read the
August  archives so I don't know if that got there.)

I reread the upgrade transcript, and found a reference to the change
in format of the path statements in modules.conf. Because I had added
a line to that file (about the irq and memory address for my network
card) the upgrade did not convert that file to the new format and
the required modules couldn't be found.

Why the reboot failed completely for one kernel but not for
another I don't know.
But I booted the one that did work, followed
the update-modules directions and they now both boot just fine.

Some of the messages that fly by during the upgrade are critical, but it's
not easy to tell which those are. The release notes
said if you're updating from 2.0 or earlier, than do
(something about update-modules, that I didn't want to know if
I didn't have to).
Since I was updating from 2.1, that made
me think I didn't have to study update-modules too carefully.
That was wishful thinking.

The 2.1 was itself an update from 2.0. Maybe that's why the
configuration file was not in the required format.

Charles Kaufman
chuck@uri.edu