Re: NETSCAPE works, while PING does not

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 03:41:58PM -0400, Alessandro Ghigi wrote:
> >
> > There are some addresses I cannot ping, while I can access them with
> > Netscape, ftp or finger (depending on the type). I can't figure out what
> > is difference between these addresses and the ones which I can ping
> > succesfully.
>
> This may be a result of firewalling at the remote site.  It's possible
> to disable ping replies.  I believe through ICMP accept/deny rules,
> though I'm new at this.

But if I ping these addresses (e.g. www.netcom.com, ftp.de.debian.org,
xxx.sissa.it) from
the account I have on the server (the same server to
which I connect via PPP) the addresses respond. Therefore I guess it's my
fault. Another strange thing (strange for me, I mean) is that when ping
knows and displays the IP corresponding to the address (but does nothing
more).

Any other idea?

Thank you very much
Alessandro