Re: Problem with swapping - computer crash.

Dear

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 02:46:03AM -0400, Thomas J. Hamman wrote:
> > There were just 4-5 programs in memory, taking about 80-100 MB, which
> > are Netscape, Gimp, rxvt+mc, mutt.
>       ^^^^^^^^
> What you describe has happened to me once or twice in Linux, and I've
> observed the exact same phenomenon under Windows 95 on my mom's
> computer.

Yes. But problem is not in Netscape taking all memory. I know that it
does. I also know that cron jobs take some more memory as well.

But do you know any way of keeping system stable - in the case when
all memory is taken?

Because I get messages probably from kernel or swap daemon, whatever,
how it cannot find free page or swap it.

Imagine, how it is when you switch from console 1 to console 2, and
you get those messages there as well.
I switch from 2 to 3, and again the whole screen is full of those messages,
and then even display changes weird, and I dont see any letters normaly.
Just some VGA changed mode, but all fonts are somehow deleted.

Well that is perfect Denial of Service attack, from my own computer.

Do you know any other solution to at least get some free console to
do something - instead of resetting the computer. It brings my memories
from Win times.

Sincerely,
Marko Cehaja