[OT] full-duplex sound recording?

Anyone doing full-duplex sound recording under linux?
I've got a sb awe64 isa/pnp which supposedly supports full-duplex
operation (playing and recording at the same time), but I have no idea
how to make it work. I've tried about half a zillion sound recording
tools, from Slab (which is really awful) to snd (which is very nice)
but none of them seem to do it. Slab does it in principle but is
unuseable (no docs, very buggy) and snd looks like it should but neither
say much about it. I don't even know if I need two devices or if
just one can be opened r/w. (The only devices I have now are /dev/dsp and
/dev/audio). The sound and sound-playing howto's don't help.
-chris