Problems with XF86Config

James Doyle MA Maîtr.en Hist.
147 South Street,  Armadale,
BATHGATE EH48 3JT
West Lothian, Scotland.
Email: jamesdoyle@excite.co. uk
Tel .Mobile: (++44) 07944 921915    Fax (inwards) (+44) 0 845 281 2648
Hello,
			"OS can't find an XYF86Config file"
				Debian 2.1

I want to install Linux on two HDs, one is an old 850 MB Conner, from which
all traces of Gates & Co.have been banished and this will be pure Linux, and
a new 6.5 GB HD which is dual-boot Win95 and Linux. I downloaded Star Office
in both Win95 and Linux forms, and have been using it under Win 95 for
several months and I never want to have MS Office on my box again!

Gates does not like Star Office, and the PC goes bananas regularly, but Star
is crash-proof and always saves correctly, and nothing gets lost.

I have tried SuSe and Red Hat ( Mandrake), but I much prefer the Debian
basic installation. Dselect on the Conner is OK.

The problem: Debian can't find an XF86 config file, the result is that
X-Windows cannot start, although Dselect has installed everything else.
Unlike Suse "YAST"
Debian never asked me anything about my monitor, and never mentioned setting
up an XF86 config file.

	Please say how I can create the missing file, how I get it into the correct
directory and let startx work?

Monitor: Triumph-Adler monchrome 14"
Video Bandwith  more than 30 Mhz analog
(80x 25)
line frequency 31467 Hz
frame frequency 60-70 Hz
Video card - Venus VGA
Tests
Actual mode (3h Text) 80 x 25
			V			H
		70.00KHz		31.43Khz
mode 12h (graphic 640 x 480)
		64.08Khz		31.54 Khz

I hope you can help!

As I have no Internet connection here at home, I have to prepare this
message at home under Star Office and then cart this on diskette to the
public library and load it under *** MS-Office to send it under Netscape

Sincerely,
James Doyle

 Get 100% private, FREE email for life from Excite UK
 Visit http://inbox.excite.co.uk/