Re: Unidentified subject!

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 09:45:27PM -0400, Neil L. Roeth wrote:
> debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
> Subject: potato/kernel 2.2.17 upgrade problems
>
> I upgraded my Sony Vaio 505VE from slink to potato, and then upgraded
> the kernel from 2.0.38 to 2.2.17.  Using potato with 2.0.38 is no
> problem, but with 2.2.17 there are a couple of problems, perhaps
> related.
>
> syslog gives me an error at bootup.  I can reproduce the error by
> executing /etc/init.d/sysklogd restart later.  The error is:
> syslogd: cannot create /dev/log: Invalid argument
>
> X problem - the server does not start - I eventually kill it with
> Ctl-Alt-Backspace and see the following:
>
> _X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
> _X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
> _X11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/vaio:0
>
> The above three lines are repeated many times.  The hostname of the
> machine is vaio.
>
> The reason I think they might be related is that both are problems
> opening sockets.  Has anyone seen one or both of these problems?  I
> can provide more detail if necessary.  TIA.

You may have a networking problem -- does the problem occur when you
are, or are not, connected to a network?  Do you have an entry for your
hostname (vaio?) in /etc/hosts?  Does it resolve to anything when you
have your X problems?  I've seen similar problems on boxes with
networking improperly configured.  Though IIRC the box would freeze
during the DNS resolution, eventually timing out.

Another option might be to post your X session output, saving stdout and
stderr to log.