Re: Kernel Compiled, but have other questions

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 11:18:49PM -0000, Ronald Castillo wrote:
> Thanks everybody for your assistance sor recompiling my kernel.  It
> now works pretty well.  I have sound support, APM, and other stuff...
>
> Now I have other questions...  I downloaded the xmms player in rpm and
> the pciutils in tar.gz form.  I installed both using alien -i and they
> appear in dselect, but I can't use neither of them.  Is there any way
> I can put xmms in the X menus and pciutils in the path?

Well, there's Debian packages for those...

Anyway, look at /usr/doc/menu and /etc/menu/README.  Just put something
like this in /etc/menu and run "update-menus".

?package(local.grass):\
       needs=text\
       section="Apps/Local/GRASS"\
       title="GRASS 5.0b8"\
       command="/usr/local/bin/grass"\
       icon="/usr/local/share/pixmaps/grass_sm.png"

You'll have to modify to your needs:
	Probably want "needs=x11" for any GUI app.

	It's good to preface it with 'local.'<packagename> so
	update-menus understands the package isn't part of the Debian
	system and shouldn't "worry" about it.

--
MegaHAL quote:
	I think a blowpipe is a marijuana cigarrette.