Re: netscape security hole

Tom Allard wrote:

> reznaeous@earthlink.net said:
>
> > > Please read the Debian Social Contract policy:
> > > http://www.debian.org/social_contract
> > >
> > > If you want to see which packages do exist in Debian, refer to:
> > > http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
> >
> > I went and looked at that page, and lo and behold there's a whole slew of
> > Netscape packages.  Just like the ones I've used to install Netscape onto
> > my systems.  Oh, wait a minute.  Those *are* the packages I used.
>
> Well, you looked at the packages, but not the social_contract,

As I've said in another post, yes I did read it.

> specifically:
>
>   5.Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards
>
>      ... We have created "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our FTP
>      archive for this [non-free] software.  The software in these
>      directories is not part of the Debian system, although it has been
>      configured for use with Debian. ...

And as I said in that same other post, why not take the packages off of the
server and go with an installation package such as used for RealPlayer?
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.