xscreensaver

If I am running a gnome session, my gnome screensaver will shutdown the
monitor, but it doesn't display a screensaver. If I am in the default
debian (fvvm?) window manager, and I execute the command
xscreensaver-demo, it will display a screensaver. But it doesn't
automatically turn the monitor off after running the screensaver. Also,
I have to re-run xscreensaver each time I log into X or else it doesn't
work. What do I do to get a fully functioning screen saver?
thanks
--dale

"Make voyages, attempt them, there's nothing else."
                             --Tennessee Williams