Re: boot tries to load all modules

Here are the (innocuous looking) contents of /etc/modules:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.

soundcore
snd-cs461x

I also just checked my kernel configuration. I have enabled loadable
modules, disabled version information, and enabled the kernel module
loader.