Re: [OFFTOPIC] BIOS Password defeat

If the other methods mentioned fail, BIOS's usually have generic passwards
that unlock them no matter what password is set (v useful - if the case is
padlocked together at uni ;)  ).  Try searching on the internet for the
BIOS type + crack or something similar.

> Hello there,
>
> I found a pretty nice 486 PCI-motherboard in the bulk waste last week,
> which I would like to use as secondary computer with debian. The board
> is working, but unfortunately, it was setup in a way that you can only
> boot from harddisk, and shadow RAM was enabled. So I tried to change
> the settings, but the preliminary user has installed a Setup-Password,
> so that I can't access the BIOS. I know, that there are ways to get
> around this, but I don't know how to do it in this special case. So
> does anybody know where to find the necessary information? Is there a
> tool for Linux or DOS to access and change BIOS-settings (I could
> plugin the harddisk from another computer and try to boot into Linux
> or use the small DOS-partition I have on this disk). Or is there some
> kind of cheat password, which will always work? The BIOS is a Phoenix
> version 4.04.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

Today people in droves hurry up past Heumoz to Villars
on the road to the ski hills, so they can rush down them
as fast as possible, so they can hurry up again in order
to rush down again.  In a way this is funny,...

			Francis A Schaeffer

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/
dcpurton@chariot.net.au