Re: Can't mount CD-ROM

I forgot to include a copy of my fstab file, here it is as an
attachment...

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 08:02:08PM -0700 3, Dale Morris <dlm@well.com> wrote:

> After a recent install via ftp of debian potato, I find I am unable to
> mount my cdrom drive. I have run dmesg | less and it returns:
>
> hdc: WDC WD153BA, 14669MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=29805/16/63
> hdb: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 120kB Cache
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.09
> Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
>
> So I am assuming that means the kernel is properly configured and is
> recognizing the the cdrom drive. I have made a symlink:
> ln -s /dev/hdb/ cdrom
> and I have checked and there is a directory mount point of /dev/cdrom.
> When I issue the command as root: [mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom
> /cdrom] I receive the following error:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> I have also done chmod 777 for /dev/hdb and /dev/cdrom--I'm not sure if
> this is the right thing to do here or not, irregardless, it hasn't
> helped. I'm outta things to do, anyone got any suggestions at this
> point? Oh, I know the drive works too, because I was using it before the
> install..
> thanks
> dale
> --
>

> "Make voyages, attempt them, there's nothing else."
>                              --Tennessee Williams
>

> --

"Make voyages, attempt them, there's nothing else."
                             --Tennessee Williams
#
/dev/hdc1	/		ext2	defaults,errors=remount-ro	0	1
/dev/hdc8	none		swap	sw			0	0
proc		/proc		proc	defaults			0	0
/dev/fd0	/floppy		auto	defaults,user,noauto		0	0
/dev/cdrom	/cdrom		iso9660	defaults,ro,user,noauto		0	0
/dev/hdc5 /usr ext2 rw			0	2
/dev/hdc6 /home ext2 rw			0	2
/dev/hdc7 /var ext2 rw			0	2