Can't mount CD-ROM

After a recent install via ftp of debian potato, I find I am unable to
mount my cdrom drive. I have run dmesg | less and it returns:

hdc: WDC WD153BA, 14669MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=29805/16/63
hdb: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 120kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.09
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M

So I am assuming that means the kernel is properly configured and is
recognizing the the cdrom drive. I have made a symlink:
ln -s /dev/hdb/ cdrom
and I have checked and there is a directory mount point of /dev/cdrom.
When I issue the command as root: [mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom
/cdrom] I receive the following error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems

I have also done chmod 777 for /dev/hdb and /dev/cdrom--I'm not sure if
this is the right thing to do here or not, irregardless, it hasn't
helped. I'm outta things to do, anyone got any suggestions at this
point? Oh, I know the drive works too, because I was using it before the
install..
thanks
dale
--

"Make voyages, attempt them, there's nothing else."
                             --Tennessee Williams