Re: Corel to Debian micro-howto

Aaron Maxwell <amaxwell@phy.ucsf.edu> writes:

> Someone asked, so here's how I transmuted my version of CorelOS to
> more or less "pure" debian.  Though this worked for me, it might be a
> good idea to read any comments made on this post before doing this,
> since IANAG (i am not a guru)
>
> 1.  Establish a net connection, if it's not already up.  (i.e., so you
>     can ftp)
> 2.  If you're at not at the command line, go there.  Log out of the
>     window manager, and press Ctrl-Alt-F2; you should go from the KDE
>     login screen to a command line login prompt.  Log in as root.
> 3.  Remove all packages with the string "corel" in them.  You can get
>     a list of these by issuing the command: [1]
>       dpkg --get-selection | grep corel
>     You'll get two columns; the names of the packages you want to
>     remove will be in the left column.  Remove them with the following
>     command, as root:
>       apt-get remove pkg1 pkg2 ...
>     where the pkgN's are the names of what you're removing.

You might as well purge and let the shell do the hard work:

  apt-get --purge remove `dpkg --get-selection | grep corel | awk '{print $1}'`

or something similar.

> 4.  Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to where the new packages are
>     located.  If you're not sure, I recommend commmenting out all the
>     lines in there (put a '#' as the first char of the line), then add
>     this line:
>       deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian frozen main contrib non-free
>     This will upgrade your system to potato, Debian's 'frozen'
>     release.  CorelOS is based on slink, Debian's 'stable' release.
>     If you'd rather update to the latest version of slink, replace the
>     word 'frozen' with 'stable' in the line above.  You can then
>     upgrade to frozen from there if you like.  I just went straight to
>     frozen with no problems, but ymmv.
> 5.  As root type:
>       apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
>     Your quasi-debian system will start downloading stuff and asking
>     you questions as it installs and configures packages.  It may have
>     to download a lot of stuff, especially if you're upgrading to
>     frozen.
> 6.  KDE is now gone (CorelOS comes with a Corelized version of KDE,
>     which you removed a few steps ago).  In its stead, I installed
>     gnome.  [1] Install the necessary gnome stuff with this command:
>       apt-get install gdm gnome-bin gnome-panel gnome-panel-data
>               gnome-core
>     (that's one long line).
>
> That should be it.  'gdm' is the name of the program that provides the
> nice graphical login.  If it doesn't automatically start, start it by
> typing as root
>   /etc/init.d/gdm start
>
> [1] I don't know how to install the non-Corel KDE; if
>     you want that instead, please search the list archives.
>     (http://lists.debian.org/#search -- just search the debian-user
>     list, ignore the 1.4e12 other lists)

Put this in /etc/apt/sources.list

  deb http://kde.tdyc.com potato kde

If you are looking for a i18n version targeted at Japanese users

  deb http://ftp.kde.gr.jp/kde/stable/1.1.2/distribution/deb potato kde

but beware that kdm and `Lock Screen' were broken last time I checked.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development