Unable to load atd.

Running woody with 2.2.15 kernel, system updated today.

At bootup the kernel messages show that the at daemon as being loaded,no
error.
	Entering an 'at' command results in,

Can't open /var/run/atd.pid to signal atd. No atd running?
	'ps'  agrees.
>From the command line using '/etc/init.d/atd start' brings up the normal reply
'starting atd etcetc' but still no daemon running.

I tried installing the binaries from slink,same problem. Recompilled the
kernel, nada.
As I haven't used an 'at' command since comming to Debian, is this a known
problem,maybe hardware or release related.?
	I'll try and get 2.2.16 tonight and install that,if that works I'll
reply to myself but someone may like to try to replicate the problem out of
curiosity.
--