Re: System locked and now complains at startup about modules

:: On Sat, 5 Aug 2000 11:11:39 -0700 (PDT), "nate@firetrail.com" <nate@firetrail.com> said:

Hi Nate...

> pelleg >Motherboard DFI PA61 ATX   (VIA Apollo Pro 133 chipset - 693/596b)
> my current board has that chipset i believe (asus cuv4x)

I think I heard some not so nice things about VIA chipsets...
Like, poor CPU performance when doing UDMA, and other problems.

> pelleg >Award BIOS
> pelleg >64 Mb RAM (no ECC...)
> pelleg >Video Card Diamond SpeedStar A50 (SiS 6326 AGP, not on-board)

> i would replace that if it was mine, although SIS is getting better
> support all the time.  I stick mainly to Nvidia/Matrox/3Dfx cards under
> linux these days. Also have run the i810.

Yes, I've been thinking about that. The card has * Mb on it, but can
use 4 only... :-/

> pelleg >HD: Western Digital Caviar, 13.5 Gb, 7200 RPM
> pelleg >
> heard bad things about western digital, make sure to turn DMA *OFF* when
> using it or you may get problems see:

> http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/latest.epl#2

> see the link above about the hdd. it may not be the source of the problems
> but it can be the source of many(more serious?) ones.

Hm, thanks. As far as I could see, mine is not blacklisted
(yet)... It's a WD153BA.
I've used it for a few months, and got no problems. But it's good
toknow that I shouldn't put a Maxtor sharing IRQs with it...

> that might be the last thing in the log, i dont know how active your
> system is. wish you had another box on a network with that one to see if
> you could telnet into it or ping it or something.

I keep it on all the time... And use it all day long.

But the modules problem was actually a bug in modutils... It's fixed
now.

> pelleg >I got it from a cousin... It's a "Leadership" mouse, made in China.
> pelleg >Ordinary 3-button PS/2 mouse, it seems...
> leadership, havent heard of em but its possible it could cause problems if
> its not totally compliant witht he PS/2 protocol it could be flaky. change
> mice and see if it still happens.

Yes. I'll try a few things:

- switch from xmms to freemp;
- then, from ps/2 to serial;
- then, from X 3.3.6 to 4.0.1...

> pelleg >But could this be a problem? I mean... Building the package myself? I
> pelleg >was confident that the same package compiled by the mantainer could be
> pelleg >compiled here... You know... We can even do that automatically with
> pelleg >apt-get... :-)

> something could cause X to freeze, ive never had it happen with a
> windowmanager though, i could always CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE(have you tried
> this?) if something in X crashes, 3Dfx glide has caused serious hangs and
> forced reboots but thats about it.

When it hangs here, the keyboard just won't work anymore. Not even
caps lock... Or the SysRq key (I've compiled that thing into the
kernel hoping it'd help)

> it might, im more concerned with how you get the system back to normal
> after installing XF864.01 (if you want to go back to 3.3.6) it may be
> difficult to get it working properly again(that may be part of the current
> problem as well)

I backed up /etc/X11 and /usr/X11R6
And held all updates of packages that could install anything on
/usr/X11R6...

But I think that if you compile it yourself, you can install it in a
different directory (/usr/X11R6.4); then you could even keep
installing stuff under the old /usr/X11R6 and just include
/usr/X11R6.4 in your PATH...

> nate

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil