Re: System locked and now complains at startup about modules

On 5 Aug 2000, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:

pelleg >Pentium II 400 Mhz,
pelleg >Motherboard DFI PA61 ATX   (VIA Apollo Pro 133 chipset - 693/596b)
my current board has that chipset i believe (asus cuv4x)

pelleg >(Absolutely nothing on-board)

good

pelleg >Award BIOS
pelleg >64 Mb RAM (no ECC...)
pelleg >Video Card Diamond SpeedStar A50 (SiS 6326 AGP, not on-board)

i would replace that if it was mine, although SIS is getting better
support all the time.  I stick mainly to Nvidia/Matrox/3Dfx cards under
linux these days. Also have run the i810.

pelleg >HD: Western Digital Caviar, 13.5 Gb, 7200 RPM
pelleg >
heard bad things about western digital, make sure to turn DMA *OFF* when
using it or you may get problems see:

http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/latest.epl#2

pelleg >With stable kernels, I use ATA/33
pelleg >With unstable kernels, I managed to get a patch to use ATA/66.

ok...

pelleg >(I still didn't completely rule out ATA66, but... The system locked
pelleg >with a stable kernel (and hence, with ATA33)

yeah.

pelleg >BTW, I have checked to see if I could find anything related to
pelleg >problems with this chipset and HD, but found nothing.

see the link above about the hdd. it may not be the source of the problems
but it can be the source of many(more serious?) ones.

pelleg >Hm, waht about the fact that it only happened after this lock? I
pelleg >thought that perhaps this could mean filesystem corruption...

that might be the last thing in the log, i dont know how active your
system is. wish you had another box on a network with that one to see if
you could telnet into it or ping it or something.

pelleg >Nothing there... Actually, it jumps from Aug, 4 to Aug, 21:50 (when I
pelleg >resetted the machine). And the messages begin with the new
pelleg >boot... Nothing in the period in which it crashed.

sounds like hardware then.

pelleg >I got it from a cousin... It's a "Leadership" mouse, made in China.
pelleg >Ordinary 3-button PS/2 mouse, it seems...

leadership, havent heard of em but its possible it could cause problems if
its not totally compliant witht he PS/2 protocol it could be flaky. change
mice and see if it still happens.

pelleg >But could this be a problem? I mean... Building the package myself? I
pelleg >was confident that the same package compiled by the mantainer could be
pelleg >compiled here... You know... We can even do that automatically with
pelleg >apt-get... :-)

something could cause X to freeze, ive never had it happen with a
windowmanager though, i could always CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE(have you tried
this?) if something in X crashes, 3Dfx glide has caused serious hangs and
forced reboots but thats about it.

pelleg >Actually, I did use 4.0.1 for a few days, and it didn't crash... But
pelleg >it may have been too little time.
pelleg >
pelleg >(I thought this could be a reasonable option, since the code is a lot
pelleg >different from that of 3.3.6)

it might, im more concerned with how you get the system back to normal
after installing XF864.01 (if you want to go back to 3.3.6) it may be
difficult to get it working properly again(that may be part of the current
problem as well)

nate

:::
http://www.aphroland.org/
http://www.linuxpowered.net/
aphro@aphroland.org
10:48am up 18 days, 18:15, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00