Xfree mouse trouble

Hello,

Just finished installing my first debian system (potato) by the floppy
method. Everything is great except trying to use my mouse in X. The
slightest touch of the mouse causes it to go berserk - flying all over the
screen and briefly displaying popup menus eventhough I'm not pressing any
buttons. I can use the mouse just fine in terminal mode to highlight
text and paste the text using the middle button, so I think my hardware is
ok. Any clues?

My system is an AsusP2B, PII-400, PS/2 Logitech 3-button mouse. I was
previosly running Slackware 7.0 w/o a problem. I configured X with
"xf86config" and chose the "ps/2" option, and I'm not "emulating
3-buttons"

Living in Lynx Land,

Jeremiah