Re: [Q] Can Samba mount 'shared' (not 'served') Win drives ?

Here's a thought - are you attempting to mount
        \\desktop\c$
as the name of the share? If so, your shell will probably be getting confused by the dollars sign. (For those who don't know, NT W and NT S create shares of c$ and d$ and so on for the root of each drive. The $ stops the share being browseable (to use samba terminology) )

Try creating a new share on the same drive, and call it something else. I think the $ was a bad choice of character on MS part.