Re: disk partition using fips

In the meantime, I actually worked out a crummy, lowtech solution to the
problem.
I happened to have an old version of a Windows disk tool called
NUTS AND BOLTS by McAffee.
If you go into the disk defragmenting section of this toolset, it shows a
detailed display of what is in all of the blocks on the disk when you move the
mouse over the graphical display which is REALLY NEAT ( unlike the rest of the
package .).

I discovered that the last block of the disk was filled with files from my
Notron Utilities Version 3.07.
The offending files were all from the LIVEUPDATE directory. Eurrggh !
(I removed them by deleting the whole directory- who needs updates !!!???).
Then FIPS worked fine.

Of course, for the price of the Nuts and Bolts software, I'm sure you could
buy a newbie-friendly disk partitioning package like partition magic.

I'd still love to know how to read FATs from DOS............

David Wright wrote:

> Quoting SDI " Semiconductor Instruments\ (showe@cnn.it):
>
> > So I duely ran noton and defragged, which put all the stuff in the first
> > 10% of the disk.
> > But, looking on the map , the last sector had hidden files on it.
> > So I turned on visualization in Win 98ofhidden file types.and system
> > files- a total of 7 megs !
> >
> > I realize that I can change all the file attributes somehow (I've yet to
> > find the command under dos ), and then re-defrag , then re-attribute the
> > files asa before.
> >
> > But it strikes me the more intelligent way to do things would be to
> > discover from the fat or somehow else the ids of the files in the last
> > sector.
> >
> > Is there no way of doing this ??
> > How can you read the fat ?
>
> When I did this for my first Debian system on a W95 computer,
> I just used the ATTRIB *.* command to find the names of the files
> that were RSH. Then I did ATTRIB -r -s -h FILENAME and copied
> them, deleted the original, renamed the copy and put +r +s +h back.
> (The copies landed just after the freshly defragged files.)
>
> I think I checked that I hit the right files by just trying FIPS until
> it didn't complain. There were very few of them.
>
> BTW I had probably turned off any swapfile before I started. I would
> imagine that moving an active swapfile would be very dangerous as this
> is one case where absolute disk addresses are likely to be used.
> (LILO's /boot is another.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Email:  d.wright@open.ac.uk   Tel: +44 1908 653 739  Fax: +44 1908 655 151
> Snail:  David Wright, Earth Science Dept., Milton Keynes, England, MK7 6AA
> Disclaimer:   These addresses are only for reaching me, and do not signify
> official stationery. Views expressed here are either my own or plagiarised.
begin:vcard
n:Howe;Stephen
tel;pager:none
tel;cell:Italy(39) 335 710 7756
tel;fax:Italy(39) 081 575 5835
tel;home:Italy(39) 081 598 3133
tel;work:Italy(39) 081 598 3133
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:SDI (Tel: Italy (39) 081 598 3133 Fax:Italy(39)081 575 5835)
adr:;;Via F. Russo,19;NAPOLI;;80123;ITALY
version:2.1
email;internet:showe@cnn.it
title:Principal
x-mozilla-cpt:;32480