Re: ppp connection speed

kmself@ix.netcom.com (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 01:55:51PM +0200, Philippe MICHEL wrote:
> >

> > kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> > > Several graphical ppp monitors have speed indicators.  wmppp is one
> > > such.  Not sure of the KDE or Gnome desktops.
> >
> > Yes but is there no log file to register this ? Independantly from X ?
> > ppp.log register the ip number got dynamicaly, but nothing about the
> > baudrate... Another idee ?
>
> The raw information is available under /proc/net, and possibly
> elsewhere.  You might be able to pull something together from that.  You
> could also check sites such as Freshmeat for a tool that logs ppp0 buad
> rates or transfer speed.  I'm not aware of one, this doesn't mean it
> doesn't exist.

Excuse the interuption here (I missed the first message) but on every
potato install I've done (not sure about slink... been too long!) pppd
reports all "interesting" information to '/var/log/messages' and all ppp
data to '/var/log/ppp.log' Here is a quick listing of mine:

# grep "Aug  3" /var/log/ppp.log | grep chat | grep /
Aug  3 08:48:53 mustang chat[9861]:  26400/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS^M

Looking more closely I see this is text my provider sends during
connection (along with other info) and not something from pppd or it's
friends. This may not be useful to you (probably not) but you may want
to try adding "ECHO ON" to your '/etc/chatscripts/provider' so that any
such messages get logged.

HTH,

Ron
--