Re: System locking

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 12:42:10PM -0300, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  some weeks ago, my system began to lock. Everything locks --
>  including the keyboard (so the SysRq key doesn't help).
>
>  I've bought a new CPU fan, becuase I thought it could be the
>  problem... But that didn't help.
>
>  I also thought it could be memory, but I have been compiling kernels
>  (sort of 5 times a week) and other big things (like Berlin), and
>  I never got any errors during these compilations...
>
>  I also thought it could be xmms, but it locekd without it running...
>
>  And this happened with both 2.4.0-test5 and 2.2.16 kernels!
>
>  Can this be an X problem?
>
>  It did not happen when I ws using X 4.0.1, but it did happen when I
>  went back to 3.3.6...
>
>  Did anyone hve that sort of problem?
>
>  Any ideas of what may be happening?

I've had similar problems which turned out to be an interaction between
smbfs and the 2.2.14 kernel.  Drove me nuts for months.  Try going back
to a known stable configuration, then figuring out what specific change
breaks things.  I don't know what specifically is wrong in your case,
but I've experienced (and heard of) occasional conflicts between
components causing hard locks.

In my case, I ruled out hardware by doing a full system migration.
Swapped literally everything, and the symptoms persisted.