System locking

Hello,

 some weeks ago, my system began to lock. Everything locks --
 including the keyboard (so the SysRq key doesn't help).

 I've bought a new CPU fan, becuase I thought it could be the
 problem... But that didn't help.

 I also thought it could be memory, but I have been compiling kernels
 (sort of 5 times a week) and other big things (like Berlin), and
 I never got any errors during these compilations...

 I also thought it could be xmms, but it locekd without it running...

 And this happened with both 2.4.0-test5 and 2.2.16 kernels!

 Can this be an X problem?

 It did not happen when I ws using X 4.0.1, but it did happen when I
 went back to 3.3.6...

 Did anyone hve that sort of problem?

 Any ideas of what may be happening?

 Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil