autofs question

Hello,

I'm using the kernel-based auto mounter, autofs.  I have all my mount
points in the default /var/autofs/misc, and I have symbolic links to
them in /mnt.  However, whenever I do a listing of /mnt (either from an
xterm, or from within an application such as StarOffice), all of the
devices controlled by autofs are mounted.  Is there a way to prevent
this?  If I want to access my CD-RW from within StarOffice, I would like
to be able to go into the directory called /mnt and then go into the
directory called /mnt/cdrw.  But I would like to be able to do this
without inadvertantly automatically mounting all the devices controlled
by autofs.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.
--

Brian J. Stults