Re: autofs question

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 12:15:21AM -0400, Brian Stults wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using the kernel-based auto mounter, autofs.  I have all my mount
> points in the default /var/autofs/misc, and I have symbolic links to
> them in /mnt.  However, whenever I do a listing of /mnt (either from an
> xterm, or from within an application such as StarOffice), all of the
> devices controlled by autofs are mounted.  Is there a way to prevent
> this?  If I want to access my CD-RW from within StarOffice, I would like
> to be able to go into the directory called /mnt and then go into the
> directory called /mnt/cdrw.  But I would like to be able to do this
> without inadvertantly automatically mounting all the devices controlled
> by autofs.  Any suggestions?

I haven't used autofs since I converted from RH last year.  IIRC mount
behavior is controlled by a couple of config files.  I'm not sure
whether or not access methods can be specified and discriminated
for/against (say, like diald allows/dissallows net connection by
activity type).

Suggest you post your config files, relevant parts of your directory
tree, and examples of behavior which cause/don't cause filesystems to
mount.

I found autofs more trouble than it was worth.  There are a number of
GUI apps which provide for mounting and umounting specific filesystems
fairly transparently, for Gnome, KDE, and WindowMaker.  This might be a
preferred alternative.