Re: mixing potato with a bit of woody...

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 11:03:48AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> Sean Richardson said:
> > In the past I have typically just built these packages (again for many
> > reasons)...but seeing as they are already available under woody I would
> > like to try the packages. I am not quite ready to switch over to
> > woody as I am stuck behind a modem for another month and waiting for 200
> > meg dls
>
> At this point, potato and woody are very similar, so it might not be as big
> of a download as you fear.  You could try pointing your sources.list at
> woody, issuing your apt-get commands (apt-get update ; apt-get install
> package1 package2... for individual package updates, apt-get update ; apt-get
> dist-upgrade to do everything), and see how much data needs to be grabbed to
> fulfill that request, then allow or cancel it.

I used another technique a while back when doing slink/potato stuff.

I put deb-src lines for potato and deb lines for slink in the
sources.list and then...

Use apt-get -b to actually BUILD the new packages from the newer
version.

Works pretty well for most packages as long as the build environment is
similar.

YMMV
--
Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>