Re: gzipped readmes in /usr/doc/*

S. Champ wrote:
<snipped>
> the question:
>
> what is the command to read these README documents, without having to first use
> a command to un-gzip the same?

I use Midnight Commander.  Select the file in question and hit F3 to view
the file.  Does the uncompression on the fly for you.  There are numerous
other things mc can do that I find invaluable, but that's for another
thread.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.