Disk performance when installing packages

Hello,

  I was wondering if anyone else notices this when installing or
  removing packages: the disk is heavily used (like when the cron
  scripts are triggered in the morning) for some time (depending on
  the number and size of the packages), and the box becomes absolutely
  slow. This happens even with small pacakges, in a Woody/Pentium II
  400 with 64 Mb of RAM and a 15 Gb Western Digital Caviar HD using
  ATA66... The window manager is flwm (the fastest and lightest I
  could find)... And I'm also using Gnome, but Gnome is usually pretty
  fast here. (And I usually have 20 or 30 Mb of free memory.)

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil