sound

I'm trying to install my yamaha opl3-sax? sound card using
sndconfig. I have recompiled the kernel with modular sound support and
configured the module opl-sa2 with make modules, then
modules_install. When I run sndconfig, I get the following error

You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound          x
     x enabled. (soundcore.o was not found in the module search path).

Is there an easier way to do this?
The one thing I *really* like about redhat is that sound configuration
for a newbie is very easy and uncomplicated. But I'm not having the
same ease here.
thanks
-- dale