Re: current Redhat user evaluates Debian

Quoth Arthur H. Edwards,
> I am a very happy convert from Red Hat via SuSE to Debian. I will give
> you two disadvantages that spawn others. The release dates are
> infrequent.  Also, IMHO, the current religious war over the meaning of
> Free is not serving the user base. It is apparently serving some of
> the more devout developers. The most recent instance in which I felt a
> disadvantage was when I had to log into a MS server over a ppp
> connection. The MS server required an encrypted password before I
> could even start exchanging the standard PPP information. It turns out
> that Red Hat has something called ms-chat that would allow me to do
> this using Linux. I will really need this tool soon so I hope that
> debian can refocus more on the distribution and less on policy.

I think you mean ms-chap, not ms-chat. Debian does seem to have ms-chap
already built-in to it's pppd

from /usr/share/doc/ppp/changelog.Debian.gz

ppp (2.3.2-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream release
  * get rid of dependence on libpam (closes: #15665)
  * applied ms-chap patch from Kent Robotti <robotti@erols.com>

   -- Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>  Sat,  6 Dec 1997 19:28:42 +0000

Of course, I've never got it working myself, but that doesn't mean it
isn't there :)

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony

- Running Debian GNU/Linux: Doing my bit for World Domination (tm) -