Re: current Redhat user evaluates Debian

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 06:36:56PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> ferret@phonewave.net wrote:
> > Debian, as I soon found out, has a single-disk installation program and a
> > five-disk installation set, which included ppp support and the ability to
> > install from a network connection. Everything past that point was just
> > icing on the proverbial cake.
>
> "Single-disk installation program"? Is this a single CD, or a single
> floppy? I haven't come across a single floppy installation, but would
> love to have it as it would make many of my installs much less painful.
>
> Oh, wait. Having re-read that, I think what you're saying is a total of
> 6 disks; one for the installer, and five for the "support" files. BTW, I
> think the current distro is up to 10 or 11 diskettes now. Bummer.

With potato, there is a "compact" install which can be done from 3
floppies (vs. 16).  This can be used with a network connection, but I
don't know if ppp is supported.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen