Re: current Redhat user evaluates Debian

Here's my 2 cents. This happened years and years ago, back in the days
when the world was still Slackware, Red Hat was version 3, and Debian was
bo.

I had a little 486 system with a couple small IDE hard drives. One day my
root inode disappears off my / partition. I have a shoebox full of
Slackware floppies, which I was going to use to load a bootable system
onto a spare 100MB hard drive I had laying around. Of course most of my
floppies had developed format errors since the last time I'd used them.
Plus, at that time Slackware had uploaded a corrupt set of floppy images.

Some people I knew suggested I try Red Hat. Well, at the time the choices
for Red Hat seemed to be either to install from a CD (I had no cdrom
drive) or download the contents of the CD to a partition and install from
there.

Debian, as I soon found out, has a single-disk installation program and a
five-disk installation set, which included ppp support and the ability to
install from a network connection. Everything past that point was just
icing on the proverbial cake.