ack! ssh, telnet and smtp don't accept outside requests

about two weeks ago, my server (running Potato) stopped accepting ssh,
smtp and telnet requests.  I would be able to connect on the respective
ports, but would be disconnected shortly thereafter before receiving a
login prompt.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled all of the packages.  The
weird thing is, Apache and a mud I run on port 9000 are working just
fine.  My server is doing IPmasq, and any computer on the local network
can get in just fine (ssh, telnet and smtp).

This happened quite suddenly, and I can't think of anything I may have
done to cause this.

Any thoughts?