Re: why is kernel recompilation necessary?

Quoting Krzys Majewski (majewski@cs.ubc.ca):
> Really? So the kernel doesn't compile any hooks for itself to enable

Yes, it has to do that, but the installation kernel has those
hooks compiled because it uses modules itself (e.g. for network
cards, sound etc.).

BUT the installation kernels have to have built-in all the drivers
that anyone might need to get at their root filing system, plus
anything else that still needs to be compiled as built-in (because
there are people who wish to continue to use these kernels for good).

> > >Why is it that under Windows or whatever I don't have to recompile
> > >the kernel just to add a new driver? Is it a protection thing?
> > >Or an optimization thing? Or something else?

It's a "protection" thing. Protection of their secrets. Only they
can recompile from the source.

Here's one of the advantages of recompilation:

potato installation:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1046612 Jun  7 17:57 vmlinuz-2.2.15

the kernel that I use on my nine machines, from old 486s
to 350MHz SCSI Pentiums:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       501346 Jul  7 11:40 vmlinuz-2.2.15

Cheers,