advanced power management and linux?

I'm researching new hardware for my linux box. I live in a small apartment
so my main requirement is that the damn thing be quiet. Does anyone have
reports of advanced power management working under linux? I know that is
in principle supported, but what are the results? The quietest machine I've seen
was an IBM aptiva running windows, it was capable of shutting down
everything when it went to sleep, as far as I could tell.
Presumably the cpu fan was still going (?)
but I couldn't hear it. Tell me what kind of hardware you have and how
quiet it is!
cheers
chris