keyboard probs

I have installed debian Linux and the keyboard as U.S. English qwerty
however I have a uk English keyboard there didn't seem to be a UK keyboard available.
Now I have a few problems with some characters on the keyboard most problematic is the pipe redirector | which selects  a > whenever I use it this is frustration I noticed on the keyboard configuration dialogue that there was something to configure they key after installing the base system called kbdconfig. However there are no manuals on this command and I am at a loss as to how to use it.
any help much appreciated thanks
jm