Re: Just one package from woody with apt-get?

Matthew Dalton <matthewd@research.canon.com.au> writes:

> montefin wrote:
> >
> > Ross,
> >
> > 1.) Actually, I do an 'apt-get update' _and_ a 'dselect update'
> > beforehand.
>
> There is no need to do both. If you are using the apt-get method in
> dselect, they both do the same thing.
>
> > 2.) After apt-get has installed the woody package, I recomment the woody
> > lines in sources.list.
> >
> > 3.) Then, I do another 'apt-get update' _and_ another 'dselect update'.
>
> There is probably no need to do either of these. You already have the
> package lists from your usual archive.

I think step 3.) is necessary.  It'll rebuild the caches that apt-get
and dselect use to contain the potato info.  If you don't the caches,
the caches will still have the woody info.  Your next apt-get upgrade
or dist-upgrade will then put you on woody.

Of course, if you use the apt-get method in dselect, you only have to
run `dselect update`.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development