Re: HELP: system locks during boot

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 02:24:00PM -0300, James Polson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a big problem. I tried to use XF86Setup to
> configure my system for X-windows. Unfortunately,
> not only did it not work, but now the system doesn't
> boot properly. The last message displayed is:
>
> Starting X font sever: xfs
>
> and then the system locks. Obviously a result of
> what I tried to do before. I tried to log on remotely
> to kill the xfs process (?) but couldn't log on.

Two things might work. Crtl-C might kill the stuck puppy during boot,
allowing the rest of the init scripts to run (X probably will fail).

Alternatively, at the LILO prompt type "<linux> single" to go into
single user mode at boot (replace <linux> with whatever you've called
your kernel.  If it's xfs that's hanging, you can temporarily disable it
(and xdm or equiv) boot into normal runlevel and go from there.

--
According to MegaHAL:
    The emu is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace.